Friday, June 5, 2015

Eating Maggi Digesting News : A Consumer's View on Controversy

I am not  writing this as an expert on any matter related to current controversy around Maggi noodles in my country. I am a consumer who used to eat Maggi like many others whenever it was a suitable option.Actually it was so quite often for anyone of my generation who lived  years of hostel life and bachelor life away from one's family. I am well aware that it is not a  healthy option for my meal but it is  a convenient one. I spent my childhood when Maggi became as much part of our life as any other popular food. People used to write their stories around their experience with Maggi. Its manufacturer even once invited people to share their experiences.
in our kitchen you can almost always find it. Next to salt packet it was most abundant commodity in pile of' hard to find anything' stock of our messy kitchen'
Such has been my association with Maggi. and I am sure many of my generation must have had even closer.

Now one fine morning I hear this news that so much loved Maggi contains some harmful substance in excess quantity ,which is not good for my health.

Food Safety regulators from UP found that Maggi contain hazardous substaince called lead in excess quantity. Connotations from government were that not only should  Maggi be banned but also should all celebrities who ever endorsed Maggi be prosecuted.

 What the hell !! So my infatuation was with someone so poisonous? Have I and other friends of mine  been cheated since so long by silent sweetheart so difficult to find in modern time ? and who were the  culprits :  company producing those tasty sugar coated poisonous thread and Celebrities endorsing them ?
is that all ?
 But along with these accomplices my frustration and anger was also with my saviours !  Where the hell were my protector Food safety regulators were when I was so mercilessly fed this poisonous substance ! I was ruining my health and they were  all along watching in silence and probably in agreement.
Later I came to know that to protect me there is a ministry and an army of able and trained regulators well paid and well fed. They were able to destroy any such attempt of harming my health as they are doing now but they did nothing !

I wonder if they did their job fine even then and probably Maggi came clean earlier and It become poisonous very recently. Maybe it gone naughtier after being nice for so long. But in that case why this change in character is being portrayed as true nature ? There has not been any talk so loud as to reach my ears till now.

Well if you think i am being soft on accomplices , you are very much mistaken. I have started hating Nestle , the manufacturer of Maggie. I give a damn about your claim that you have rigorous quality control process. I have more faith in process of our government after all they took 32 years to come up with a conclusion and if someone is spending so much on anything its impossible  one is wrong.

Mr Amitabh bachhan , I respected you a lot Sir but I respect Mr Ram Vilas Paswan more. And since he is saying that you should be prosecuted so am I.
you endorsed something so bad for my health and expecting me to be your admirer !
Now I am thinking about a  'Uncle' who used to sell Maggi in shop below our apartment. Never knew that soft spoken , humorous and honest man was so cruel as to sell excess lead containing Maggi to me. What?  he didn't know about that ? So what ? Mr Amitabh bachchan might also not be knowing. But am I sparing him ? didnt you listen to Mr Paswan ?
I am also not happy with my friends who spent good time eating maggi together. O dear Lord we were happy seeing each other eating something so poisonous !!

 I might have digested a lot of Lead but how ll I digest all these facts after this sad news !

No comments:

Post a Comment